Today we received the Hearing Officer's recommendation on the Unfair labor Practice charge CTA filed in 2018 against the District regarding refusing to bargain evaluations. You can read it at THIS LINK.
CTA filed the ULP because the District pretended to be bargaining changes of all aspects of the evaluation system but created their own unilateral version and refused to bargain, claiming management rights.
From the ULP:
"SUPPLEMENTAL CONCLUSIONS OF LAW
1. OCCTA’s refusal to bargain charge and unilateral change charge were timely filed.
2. The School District violated section 447.501(1)(a) and (c), Florida Statutes, by refusing to bargain collectively.
3. The School District violated section 447.501(1)(a) and (c), Florida Statutes, by unilaterally imposing the evaluation system present in this case.
4. OCCTA is entitled to an award of reasonable attorney’s fees and costs for litigating the refusal to bargain charge.
5. OCCTA is not entitled to an award of reasonable attorney’s fees and costs for litigating the unilateral change charge.
6. The School District is not entitled to an award of attorney’s fees and costs of litigation.
From the recommendation:
In order to effectuate the purposes of Chapter 447, Part II, I recommend that the Commission adopt the findings of fact and conclusions of law set forth above, and enter an order requiring the School District to:
This recommendation will be reviewed by the PERC Commission. We fully expect the District to follow its pattern of appealing any ruling favorable to OCCTA. Still, we consider this a victory.
This ULP took weeks and weeks of work and the testimony of courageous teachers and staff. The hearing officer stated, "I find Andrea Bowles, Albert Davies, Matthew Hazel, Karen Salter, and Michelle Vanderley credible witnesses. They responded to questions in a straightforward, candid manner." He also stated, "I find Wendy Doromal and Maribel Rigsby credible witnesses. They responded to questions from both parties in a straightforward, candid manner." Thank you all of the witnesses and to our attorney, Tobe Lev.